Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Viva Quito! (Photo blog post)

Hi again!

Last week Friday, December 6th we celebrated Quito's birthday. It's something like Canada day, but they are a lot more patriotic :)
At the church they organize a day of celebration. The following pictures tell the story.

They prepare a lot of food!

Washing potatoes before cooking

Pan full of bananas ready to be fried

And the special - fried onions and hamburgers of Tio Fred.

Also lots to drink! Fresh squeezed lemonade and....

A lot of pop :)

Then the games begin....

My team performing our cheer

Sack races

(Yes I'm competitive!)

3 legged races

Practicing

Bike relay

Pass the washer relay



Eat the apple

Jump the watch. Basically that rope keeps coming around and once you fail to jump it you are out. The altitude really makes this game a challenge haha.



Franklin got a little dizzy :)

Digging a hole...

Sanding and oiling a log.....

The point here is to try and climb the greased log and reach the piece of cardboard. If you can do it, you win a prize. It's not easy!

And finally, they end the day with a card game called cuarenta (means 40 in Spanish)

Just enjoying the sunshine with a new friend!

Thanks for checking in! I must admit I'm finding it a little hard to know what to blog about at times. If you have any questions about life here or things you are curious about, please email them or comment here and I'll try to answer them in another blog post :)
My plans for the near future are to go to Quininde on Monday the 16th for a week. I'll be trying out my Spanish, and it will give us a better idea of how well I can get by, or if I need more classes.
I'll post more once I return.

With love
Melissa

1 comment: